top of page

Maintaining a US Address While Living Abroad

If you are not a resident of the USA, there are a few options to maintain an address with your American bank:

1. Use a Family Member or Friend's Address

If you have a relative or trusted friend living in the U.S., you can use their residential address as your mailing address with the bank. However, make sure to get their permission first.

2. Rent a P.O. Box

You can rent a P.O. Box from the U.S. Postal Service or a private mail service provider like UPS or FedEx. This gives you a U.S. mailing address to use with your bank.

3. Use a Mail Forwarding Service

There are companies that provide mail forwarding services by giving you a "virtual" U.S. address. They receive your mail and can forward it to your international address for a fee.

4. Maintain U.S. Residential Ties

If you still have some residential ties to the U.S. like owning property or having a long-term rental, you can use that U.S. address for banking purposes.

When using any of these address options, make sure your bank is aware that you reside outside of the U.S. Some banks may have specific requirements or documentation needed to keep an out-of-country account open.

It's also important to keep your address information updated with the bank and continue meeting any residency, identification or minimum balance requirements to avoid issues with account closures.

Also you need to register with a US consulate informing of your situation and location.

Using the address of the nearest U.S. consulate or embassy abroad is another viable option for maintaining a U.S. address with your American bank if you are not residing in the United States.

Here are some key points about using a U.S. consulate/embassy address:

- Most U.S. consulates and embassies allow American citizens residing in that country to use the consulate's address for purposes like banking, receiving mail/packages, etc.

- You would need to register with the consulate first and provide proof of U.S. citizenship like a passport.

- The consulate can then give you an address format to use, usually "Your Name, American Citizens Services, U.S. Consulate Address."

- Some banks may request a letter or document from the consulate confirming you have permission to use their address.

- Mail sent to the consulate address has to be collected by you in person with ID.

- There may be fees charged by the consulate for processing and forwarding mail.

Using the U.S. consulate address shows you still maintain U.S. ties and a physical U.S. address your bank can associate with your account. This can help you keep accounts open while living abroad long-term.

Just make sure to follow all procedures required by both your bank and the particular U.S. consulate in that country. Keeping them informed is important.

Recent Posts

See All


Mit 0 von 5 Sternen bewertet.
Noch keine Ratings

Rating hinzufügen
bottom of page